Welcome! All words and images here are for your visual enjoyment, but please, even though it's only for your personal use, ask me first for permission to alter, copy or re-publish any words, images, artwork, photos or web design elements from this blog as they are Andrew Borloz' property, duly protected by international and US copyright laws. Thank you so much for respecting my property ownership.




10 April 2017

Altered Composition Book

I have been busy lately with various projects such as stenciling, bookbinding, sorting & organizing art supplies, oil paintings, sketching, and taking on-line courses.

Today's Monday, and I was going to take a break from my own creativity, but as I was cleaning up and sorting out the art supplies, a few ideas popped up in my head. One of them involves using up the collage stash that have been sitting around waiting to be made useful.
The pile of paper is an accumulated samples produced for my stencil designs that I created for a stencil manufacturer. As I was picking out the papers, I had to just ignore either its color or pattern as I can be easily overwhelmed by the sheer variety. The next step is to figure out the size and cover for these pages, and since I have a pile of composition books that I bought at very good price.
I have used this book for documenting my ideas, and the pages can be too thin for water media. I had to use either quick dry media or pastel with fixative sprayed on. So, I decided that I would remove the pages by cutting the thread that bound them to the covers. 
Once I got the "neat" pages removed, I started folding the thick painted pages unevenly and collated them randomly. I then punched the holes so that pamphlet stitches could be sewn. 
I learned this method from three instructors in the classes that I took at three different art retreats. One recent trailer for an on-line course inspired me to do the same with the pages that I found during the clean-up (still on-going!). 
The next challenge is to make these pages work together. It will be a work in progress as I work in multiple projects and I have a book which is handy for documenting my creative process.
It fit nicely in a toolbox that I adapted for my art supplies this past weekend, and I will be transporting this box to wherever I will be working on various project.


No comments: